Thursday, February 6, 2014

shaved brussels sprouts salad with parmesan & walnuts



My love for Brussels sprouts extends far and deep, years before they became a fad at hip eateries in Chicago and San Francisco.  Back to a time when the idea finding fresh Brussels sprouts at the grocery store in Fairbanks was unthinkable, and so ours came to the dinner table via frozen baggies from the super market.  We were so oblivious to the thought of fresh Brussels sprouts as a kid that when we grew them in our family garden, my sister and I were more excited to use them as "Barbie cabbages" than actually consuming them.
 
Also, Holly and I were obsessed with Barbies. 
 
Anywho, times sure have changed!  Holly and I no longer play with dolls that have no realistic relation to the actual measurements of a real woman, and nowadays I can stop by the grocery store and pick up an ENTIRE STOCK of Brussels sprouts for dinner!  Or in my case, spot them at Trader Joe's in Oregon and bring them home in my luggage. 
 
People do that, right?
 
Well, if they don't, they should.  My sister thought I was nuts and snapped a photo.  (Have I also mentioned how I stockpile Trader Joe's items at my house?  I should probably share less, frankly.)
 
 
My usual method of preparation is to roast them with olive oil, salt, and pepper,  or sear them in a hot cast iron skillet with plenty of bacon.  But I came across a recipe for a raw Brussels sprouts salad and was intrigued.  I'd heard about these raw salads, but never attempted one myself.  It had simple ingredients I almost always have on hand, and it came together quickly and beautifully.  And now I'm obsessed with it. 
 
[Side note: check out my pretty new cutting board my Dad made me for Christmas!!!  I love love loooooove it and decided it needed to make the blog and the photo shoot, too. ]



I tend to find myself in salad ruts, using the same tried and true ingredients over and over.  But this salad is different and surprising and completely delicious and nutritious.  I enjoy the flavor the apple cider vinegar lends to the dressing, and ribbons of sprouts are complimented by the saltiness of the Parmesan and the nutty walnuts.  Try it and I think you'll become addicted, too! 


Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad with Parmesan & Walnuts
 
(Adapted from Shutterbean)
 
3/4 pound Brussels sprouts
1 cup toasted walnuts, chopped roughly
3/4 c. Parmesan cheese, shredded (I use my food processor)
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons honey
salt & pepper
 
1.  Shred the Brussels sprouts in a food processor, on a Mandolin, or with a sharp knife.  Toss them in a bowl with the toasted walnuts and cheese (saving a little of each for the top of the salad as presentation).
 
2. In a small jar with a lid, add the olive oil, vinegar, mustard, honey, salt and pepper.  Shake well.
 
3.  Pour the dressing over the salad (you may not want to use it all- add some, then test for flavor, and keep adding until the salad has the amount of dressing you like).  Top with the remaining cheese and walnuts and serve immediately!
 
Enjoy!
xo h
 

4 comments:

Patsy Weidenbach said...

Hello Heidi. This salad sounds great and I want to make it for an upcoming brunch. However, I don't see any serving size information included on the recipe. How many servings would you say that the recipe makes? Thanks!

Heidi said...

Good question Jean! I would say it serves 8 smaller servings, or 4 big servings. I hope your guests love it, I certainly do!

Anonymous said...

I made this dish on Thanksgiving and everyone was going crazy for it...even the people who are not a fan of brussel sprouts. Amazing recipe, thank you!

Heidi said...

I'm so glad you liked it! I love this recipe. You should try the new one I just posted last week- it's my favorite way to eat Brussels sprouts to date!